I have a love for food that changes constantly. What I want in one moment could be trashed in the next. Literally- I can prepare my lunch the night before, go to retrieve it from the fridge in the morning, take one look at it and wind up dumping it faster than you can take your next breath. You could say this is a little strange, but it’s how I operate.
In my healthier phases I love a good salad, usually with little to no dressing. A southwest salad from Chick-fil-a, caesar salad from my local pizza place, or BLT salad from Wawa. Trust me they’re all wonderfully delicious and approved by yours truly.
If I really want to kick it up a notch I throw together a few of my kitchen staples and make a warm kale salad. I’ll tell you how you can tweak the recipe later.
Ingredients: Kale (bagged or fresh), 2 colored bell peppers (red, orange, yellow, etc.), 1 red onion, 2 tablespoons of butter, and salt.
- Be sure to remove any stickers from vegetables and clean them under warm running water.
- Chop peppers and onions length wise into equally sized pieces (about half an inch).
- Cut kale into 2 inch pieces. You could also rip kale into smaller pieces, it doesn’t have to be precise.
- Add butter, peppers and onions into pan and begin to sauté for 3-5mins on medium/high heat.
- Throw in kale with other vegetables and cook until leaves have darkened in color, but still have a crunch. Salt to to taste.
- Serve and enjoy.
Now let’s get to the variations.
- Swap out butter for low fat cooking spray. I use either one, but I prefer the butter for taste. (That artificial stuff just doesn’t cut it!)
- Red for white onions-I like the color and kick of the red onions!
- Garlic! Fresh, powder, minced, whatever…throw in some garlic.
- Cut the salt and opt for no sodium seasoning like Ms. Dash.
- Add in some protein. One day I threw in some turkey pepperoni because I was being lazy and that was my protein/salt for the day. Chicken and bacon also work well.
Thank you to my 2nd mother for this recipe.